This recipe is one I love making for my private chef clients. Once you get the steps down, it becomes fairly easy to make. I’m a big fan of the Miyokos and Kite Hill brands, so you can use either for the “cheese” blend. Nothing annoys me more than a long recipe intro, so I will get right into it. Would love to hear your feedback if you make this one, or if you need a little extra guidance simply email me email@example.com and I can virtually hold your hand.
Maddox Lane’s Vegan Spinach Mushroom Lasagna
Makes 9×13 pan
1 box lasagna noodles (your choice on brand, for gluten free Jovial makes a great brown rice option)
2 packages of Miyokos Creamery Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (if you can’t find, you could also use Kite Hill’s Almond Ricotta)
2 – 10 oz bags frozen organic spinach, completely thawed and drained (I use a nut milk bag to squeeze the moisture out of the thawed spinach)
8 cloves garlic (4 for the “cheese” blend and 4 for the “meat” blend)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds button or cremini mushrooms
1 1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, small diced
1 1/2 T. Dried Italian herbs or 3 T. Fresh Italian herbs (oregano, parsley, basil, and thyme all work well)
1 tsp. sea salt
32 ounces organic tomato sauce (your choice on brand)
- Cook noodles according to package directions to al dente and lay flat on parchment paper as soon as drained (so they don’t stick together), set aside.
- Make the “cheese layer” by adding the Miyokos Creamy Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (you can break this down into small chunks), thawed and drained spinach (spinach needs most moisture to be released prior to this step), garlic cloves, and couple pinches sea salt in a food processor. Blend until a nice smooth spreadable paste.
- Make the meat mix:
- Clean mushrooms with a dry towel or cloth (do not get wet)
- Add mushrooms to food processor and PULSE into small chunks. You want to pulse until size is in medium crumbles.
- Finely dice large yellow onion
- Press or mince 4 garlic cloves
- If using fresh herbs, finely chop those now
- Finely chop walnuts (you can also put these in food processor!) until you have about a cup and a half of chopped walnuts (again, texture and size will represent meat crumble)
- In a large soup or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic. It is IMPORTANT that you saute these ingredients until ALL liquid has been released from the mushrooms and most liquid has evaporated (you don’t want a super wet mushroom mix, you want to continue to saute until moisture is mostly eliminated, just stir and wait).
- Add walnuts, Italian seasonings, sea salt and stir into mushroom and onion mix. Then add your tomato sauce of choice. Stir well, adjust your seasonings as desired.
- Build your lasagna in a 9x 13 pan. Place a few spoonfuls of the mushroom “meat” in the bottom to prevent noodles from sticking. Then layer one layer of noodles down. Use your clean fingers (best way to do it!) to spread a layer of the spinach “cheese” blend on top of the noodles. Then add a smooth layer of the mushroom walnut “meat” blend. Add another layer of noodles, repeat the “cheese” and “meat” layers, repeat one more time.
- Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 40-45 minute.
- Let sit for about 10-15 minutes before serving.